Thursday, December 31, 2009

Booking Through Thursday - Best of 2009

This week's question: It’s the last day of the year, and you know what that means … nostalgia and looking back. What were your favorite books of the year? (Books that were new to you in 2009, if not necessarily published this year.).



Here is my top ten list in no particular order:


1. Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson - Just finished this one this week and I wonder why I waited so long to read it - truly memorable!

2. The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai - I loved the themes of emigration/immigration that ran throug this novel

3. The Geography of Bliss by Weiner - One man's journey to find the happiest people/place on earth which made me question how we define happiness in America

4. This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper - this was my first introduction to Tropper but thoroughly enjoyed this and will add other novels of his to my TBR list

5. Always Looking Up by Michael J Fox - I found this authobiography/memoir of Fox's battle with Parkinson's truly inspiring and a lesson in how to have a positive outlook.

6. Eating Heaven by Jennie Shortridge - I was drawn in by Shortridge's writing and have added her other books to my TBR list.

7. Yesterday's Weather by Anne Enright - an excellent collection of short stories set in Ireland.

8. Spoiled by Caitlin Macy - another collection of short stories; these are set in NY and examine privilege and class. My review is here

9. Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah - a fun, light read about a lifelong friendship

10. Knit the Season by Kate Jacobs - like Three Cups of Tea, I seemed to be behind in getting on the Friday Night Knitting Club bandwagon but I loved the first book and its sequel. I was left wanting more of the characters and Knit the Season provided just that in time for the holidays. My review is here

Happy New Year and here's to great reading in 2010!

5 comments:

  1. Firefly Lane made my list also and I have This is Where I Leave You on my 2010 TBR list.

    Here is mine
    http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2009/12/countdown-of-my-favourites.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of these. Perhaps I should look them up at the library in 2010 :)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Firefly Lane this year too. Happy 2010 reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also enjoyed The Geography of Bliss, even though I bought it on a whim. I was quite pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you love Three Cups of Tea, you should read his 2nd book Stones Into Schools! Just as inspiring!

    ReplyDelete