Sunday, December 13, 2009

Review: Knit the Season by Kate Jacobs

[39225886.jpg]



I resisted the Friday Night Knitting Club Series by Kate Jacobs for awhile - it's commercial popularity made me suspect. This is crazy really - if lots of people like a book, that should be a good thing, right? Usually I follow this logic but every so often I run completely counter to it - I am embarrassed to say that is what happened with this series. However, I was finally won over by an enthusiastic friend and quickly devoured The Friday Night Knitting Club and Knit Two. At the end of both books, I was bereft at the thought of not sharing time with the characters anymore.

So . . . I was thrilled when I saw Knit the Season arrive at bookstores - what a great combination, the holidays and the Knitting Club Series! The book picks up about 1 year after Knit Two and just before the holidays. Dakota's Dad has planned a family trip for the entire Walker Clan to Scotland to see Georgia's Gran and Anita is finally planning her wedding to Marty. Much of the action centers on Dakota with the other favorites (Catherine, Peri, Darwin etc) featuring more at the periphery than the center. This book is a bit shorter than the previous two so there is not as much time for character development - you get glimpses of the other characters but very little depth. If I had one criticism of the book, this is it. Because I so enjoy all the characters, it is a disappointment to get so little of each one.

With that said, the book is still thoroughly enjoyable and you feel as if you have slipped back into an easy companionship with long lost friends. Almost makes me want to start knitting . . . ok, maybe I will stick to reading!

1 comment:

  1. Great review :) I enjoyed this series and I do agree that it was a little short! Overall, it's a nice holiday book

    ReplyDelete